Friday, January 27, 2012

UV Map / Piston Constraint Test


There was only one part of my train that needed UV mapping and that was the back part of it with the decoration. As it wasn't a straight forward shape, I had to create planar maps from cameras selecting the faces I wanted e.g. top, bottom, side etc. The end result being like the first image, once I had created the design in Photoshop I then saved it out so I could place it onto my train in Maya. It's turned out really well, to begin with I had no idea how I would go about UV mapping it, I tried unfolding the shape, however this didn't work when it came to putting the image back onto the model. When you know how to go about getting the UVs it doesn't seem too hard. I mentioned previously that I was either thinking about possibly putting texture onto my cactus, however I tried it with just a basic colour and think it works fine, especially when comparing it to my train as it is all just block colour, any texture might over do it and not fight in with the whole style of the piece. 

I finally sorted out the pistons for my train. Once I got shown how to do it I thought it would be pretty simple to recreate, yet I came across so many problems. It's never as simple as it looks, it will always take a few tries to get it how you want it to be. I had a load of issues with the pistons not lining up properly, not moving at all, or one part moving and the other motionless. With these mistakes, I did understand the process more and afterwards knew where I went wrong and I know in future what to do. Always make sure the pivots are in the correct place - where you want things to rotate from, any components are correctly named otherwise things can get mixed up with one another.

After all of that, the finished motion is below. I'm happy that I was able to create this, in future I think I will look more into constraints to see what else they can be used for and if they'll help my animating in anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment