Sunday, January 29, 2012

Producing / Directing - My Contribution

Throughout this film module I initially took the role as producer as I thought I would be good at organising everything out and getting people in place to do what they needed. I did enjoy it as being organised is in my nature, I also helped out with the researching stage, pitching ideas and gathering references from other videos and sources. I know that I can source things quite easily, but it was definitely useful to get other peoples opinions and ideas and to branch out to see what else I could find that would help during the film.

When it came to storyboarding we all chipped in with giving ideas and helping Lija work out how the shots should be composed and what would be the best camera angles to do. With filming, I ended up filling out the director role without even realising. I helped by giving specific directions to the actress (more so in the second half of the first film) to choreograph it more and to give it some structure. Again everyone chipped in too, it was a group collaboration. Two heads (or more in this case) are better than one.

As a group we constantly got feedback from one another. Giving and receiving any relevant ideas, I ended up setting up a Facebook group for our film group. It was easier to keep track off all the ideas and feedback and it was a place where we knew we could get hold of one another at some point, especially during the Christmas holidays. It proved really useful and was used a lot so I think if another group project comes along I will have to do the same again.

Below is our final film for the first poem, 'Define Me' - I'm impressed with what we actually managed to achieve and it was a huge learning curve for me. I have enjoyed the experience of working in a group and collaborating on ideas, I initially came on this course to study animation, however film has opened my eyes a bit more to different styles and how to appreciate the process, cinematography and the principle roles in film making.


Define Me from Thomas Bone on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment