Monday, January 16, 2012

Psyop

I have come across Psyop a couple of times recently and found their pieces really engaging and quite beautiful. They are a design, animation and visual effects company based in New York and L.A. Psyop are probably most recognisable for their Twinings Tea and the ING Direct adverts, both of those differ from each other quite greatly however they tell a story, you are drawn into them.

There are two in particular which I myself really like. The first one tells a story through a storybook, it's not the first time this has been done but Psyop have executed it really well. I love the composition of each shot and how the music, the voice of the storyteller and the turning of each page all flow seamlessly into one another. The colour palette they have used is quite clever as it matches the pages that you would find in a book, all the small things add together and at the time they may seem insignificant, however when the final piece is shown it makes a huge difference. As the colours are quiet minimalistic and neutral, it gives the piece a relaxed tone.



JP Morgan Chase – Change from Psyop on Vimeo.

The second one I really like for the artwork shown HERE. The characters themselves are really quite stunning and the artwork that backs it up is breathtaking. They have used other references to determine the characters poses - as shown by the dog in the link above. I like observing the animations for each character, no two are the same, they each are to their own with their own personalities. I find things like this really inspiring, it makes me want to get to that stage one day. As I want to pursue a career in animation I think it's important to observe the ways other people animate and to see their work ethic. From this you can get an idea of what needs to be done to be successful in your career or produce something that you really are proud of.


FedEx "Forest" from Psyop on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment