Saturday, March 10, 2012

Testing Ideas

I wasn't sure whether to have stairs or some sort of ramp leading up to the mushrooms so I decided to test it out using Maya and then placing it into Unity to test it properly. I built a really rough shape for a mushroom and exported it out into Unity, here I then scaled it to how tall I wanted it and first started placing steps. With the steps, they look really nice however it may be a bit tedious jumping up each one as they are spaced apart, I could try placing them closer together so this would reduce that factor, however the more steps I have, the more polys I will gather. This also goes for the ramp I created, as there are going to be a quite a few mushrooms within the playing area, and you are able to walk between each one, I'm worried that with the ramp it may use up too many of my polys. To try and get around this I also tried using the terrain tool within Unity. This doesn't use up any polys, so that's a good thing. However the problem I found with this was that it's not very attractive and it takes away the shape of the mushroom, as it acts like a hill/mountain the mushroom becomes hidden. I could possibly try texturing it to make it look better, however if each mushroom is linked together, the terrain tool may be too overwhelming and you might feel too cluttered.

I think I will have to model the main sections first - mushrooms, spaceship, the inside of the mushrooms before I can really decide on what I am going to have. After modelling I will be able to see how many polys I will have left and can then go from here to try and create a low poly version of either the steps or the ramp.

The first image shows it in first person, and this is the scale in which I would like everything to be, big enough to make the person feel like they are in another world yet not too big where it feels too overwhelming and you are not even able to see the tops of the mushrooms.



No comments:

Post a Comment