Monday, March 5, 2012

Abe Ong

I was quite lucky in finding this artist as he has produced stylised drawings of different types of mushrooms. It gives me an idea of how I could possibly design them to fit in with the family style. They're quite 'cartoony' however for concept art it works, also depending on what it is actually for that might be the final style. On some of them there is a subtle pattern on them so I could consider to have a simple design on mine instead of just a block colour.

I really like the style of his paintings, it hints of the genre of fantasy due to the way it has been light, coloured and the characters that are included. By including characters you are also showing how big they are in relation to the environment so it gives you a better idea of how big everything is; unless of course the characters themselves aren't average human height. The light shines down onto the characters which emphasise their presence so in my concept art, if I want anything to be highlighted this would be a good way of doing it. This piece shows narrative in the way of these two characters trying to reach a certain destination within this forest. Concept art itself can either show narrative or set the scene. So when designing mine I will have to decide which category it falls into. I really want to explore this style of drawing and painting so I will try drawing out my environment in a more stylised way, something that would be seen maybe more in animation than games. I will try and look at games that replicate this style e.g. Zelda, Pikmin and similar games like this in order to gather a range of inspiration to help me design my environment in the way I envision it.


No comments:

Post a Comment