Saturday, March 24, 2012

Mock up of scene / Concept Art

As I had previously built a few test assets for my game level, I decided to do a quick mock-up of how it might look like. This mock-up looks different to my previous designs as I thought I would try out something a little different. Before I found that there was a lot of space to fill up within a 100mx100m playing field, so to break this up I thought I would try out having the main mushroom cluster on a separate island, with mountains surrounding it and your spaceship being across the water.

I think this design works much better, makes it more interesting than just having the one cluster being the main focus. Because I now have decided on this kind of layout I also think I will just stick to doing the outside of my environment. I know before I said I was going to do both, showing part of the inside where my alien race would live, however I think I would much rather concentrate on the outside more and get that looking really good rather than try and do both. Also I think it might be too much - too overwhelming if I did both. At the end of the day it's about quality not quantity so I would feel much better about spending more time on the outside than trying to split my time between both the exterior and interior.


Below is the mock up actually within Unity. I placed a skybox in of an moonlight sky and created a blue fog just to highlight that the mushroom will glow this sort of colour in the final thing. I also added in a fire particle which I created myself, adjusting specific values to get it how I wanted it to look and using two different particles to create the fire and smoke. When it comes to the final thing I will tighten it up and probably experiment with it a bit more for it to look more realistic, but for now it will do just to show whats going on around the ship.

Unity Web Player | test_2
Unity Web Player | test_2

No comments:

Post a Comment