Friday, March 9, 2012

Aladdin Carpet Concepts

I found these concepts for the magic carpet from Aladdin and I found it really amazing how the expressions and emotions are able to come through on what normally would be a static object. It's such a simple shape yet each one clearly conveys a specific emotion. It strips it down to its basics, at the end of the day its about being able to show these different expressions and emotions through the way that you draw. It shows that you do not need a complicated character to make it believable, we see through our eyes so even the most basic form, when done correctly can show the same emotions or maybe even better than a complex character. It's so simple, nothing can distract you from the raw essence of it. Facial expressions and voicing isn't needed which shows how skilled these Disney artists were.



I find it hard to give a static object life in the way of drawing, I want to be able to develop my drawing skills so I got this book, Force Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators from my uni library and it talks about dynamic drawing and how the lines that you make should convey the force of a particular position. I need to be more confident in the lines that I make, I tend to go over the same line several times but this shouldn't be the way. One line is much more powerful and it can really emphasise the shape/position. There is also another book Force Animal Drawing which looks more in depth at how different animals move and the way gravity impacts on them. The books include a lot of examples and it's something I will keep looking into and referring to as I will try and develop my drawing further.



No comments:

Post a Comment