Friday, March 9, 2012

Character Idea

Even though for this module we are only creating the environment, no character is needed to be designed, sometimes it is best to actually have a character in mind because how can you build an environment without knowing who will live there and you cant build a character without knowing the environment they live in. The environment can determine how your character will look. Another reason for coming up with a character is that it can solidify the idea and backstory more, and there is no reason why their image cannot be incorporated into the environment somehow, e.g paintings on a wall.

I have decided to actually incorporate the character into my scene as I want to really show what type of creature inhabits the place. I will probably have them as a couple of statues as entrances to the village or possibly placed somewhere within. Below are some quick ideas I have sketched down, exploring different ideas and shapes of what the alien could look like. I want them to be about knee height on an average human being, small and approachable so for this they will have to have an attractive and appealing look. All the ones I have drawn are quite cute, the smaller bodies emphasise this, however I will have to think about mobility. Even though they will not be animated in any shape or form, the design of their village should accommodate them. If I were to have stairs leading up to their houses, would they be able to climb up with short stubby legs? By making sure I get this correct it will add to the believability of my scene and the story itself.




The above sketches are ideas I came up with and then developed upon to try and come up with other possibilities. At some point they started become a bit too feminine and as I wanted the aliens not to be gender specific, this was a bit off track. By talking to other people I found that most preferred the one with a mushroom hat so I decided to go with this design and press forward with possible colours.

These are just some basic colours using coloured pens to give an idea of what the aliens would look like. As my alien will only be a statue I do not need to really expand on the colours too much, but I will have to look into different types of textures to see which will look best on its own and within the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment