Saturday, October 8, 2011

Who Are You?

On Tuesday we had our first Personal, Professional Practice lecture (PPP) which was all about 'Who Are You?', how could you describe yourself instead of using just facts i.e I am studying for my degree, I live in Leeds. We did an exercise where we had to read 2 columns and pick which one we felt was more like ourselves - there were ones where I felt I had traits in both, however we had to pick the extreme. We did this four times, each on different topics and at the end of it came to have 4 letters.

Mine were:
I - introvert
S - sensing
F - feeling
J - judging

Now having obtained these 4 letters, we then had to find out what they meant on a sheet we were given 'The 16 MBTI Types'.

ISFJ
Quiet, friendly, responsible and conscientious. Committed and steady in meeting their obligations. Thorough, painstaking and accurate. Loyal, considerate, notice and remember specifics about people who are important to them, concerned with how others feel. Strive to create an orderly and harmonious environment at work and at home.

Reading this through I found that it was quite accurate, nearly all of these things I would agree upon, especially 'Committed and steady in meeting their obligations. Thorough, painstaking and accurate.' I always work really hard in whatever I do and try to achieve the best that I can.

After this we then had to fill out a table, marking out of a 100 different areas of our life on how happy we were with them. Then with these results we plotted them onto the diagram below the table to map out our work and life balance. They say the bigger the area of your shape, overall you should be more happy; and any specific points that occur could be due to the fact that other areas are quite low which makes it an extreme.

The last thing we had to do was to fill out 'The Big Personality Test' on the BBC website. By doing this, it would give you more of a specific idea of what your traits are, supposedly more accurate too.

Openness: 3.7 out of 5
I scored medium on this, which says people of my score tend to have a broad range of interests, and may be more sensitive to art than people who score low on this scale.
'You are likely to find it easy to come up with original solutions to problems.' I'm not sure whether I agree with this one, this area seems a bit vague. I guess I am more sensitive to art than others, but I always assumed that was due to the fact that I have always studied Fine Art and had to make analysis of different types of art.

Conscientiousness: 4.3 out of 5
Scoring high on this shows how dependable, organised and hard working a person is likely to be. They tend to be very dependable and well organised, approaching tasks at work methodically and thoroughly. I highly agree with this one as I find that I have to do things in a certain order before I move onto the next stage. I always make lists on what I have to do to keep things organised and on track.

Extroversion: 1.9 out of 5
Low scoring suggests that I am likely to enjoy time away from lots of people, that having some quiet time to myself is where I can 'recharge my batteries'. I do agree with this one, I tend to think that being an only child may have some affect on this. With not having any siblings to play with I was more likely to entertain myself and from this I guess I have become more independent. I don't mind being around people, I like being around my friends but when it comes to it, being on my own doesn't bother me one bit. Sometimes it's nice to have time to yourself.

Agreeableness: 3.9 out of 5
'Agreeableness measures how sympathetic and considerate a person is likely to be.' They will show concern for the feelings of others and will help those in need. It says I will probably find it easy to get along with most people, however I will be wary to speak my mind. I am always in this situation, whether it be in a friend group or in class, unless I am definitely certain on something I will keep it to myself and not speak out. I do care a lot about other people, if anyone turns to me I will always be there to help, I am not the person to just turn my back to someone.

Neuroticism: 4.1 out of 5
'People with scores like yours may find that they often feel tense or anxious, and may well experience changeable moods.' Even though I tend to work hard, I do find myself getting stressed a lot of the time and feeling anxious about whether or not my work is good enough.

'There is evidence to suggest that Neuroticism, when combined with high scores in personality traits such as Conscientiousness, can result in a powerful work ethic and a will to succeed.' This makes sense to me as even though I will stress a lot about my work, it almost pushes me to do more, to do even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment