Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Joy Competition Animation

Only just got around to posting this now, but back in November, I entered the Joy competition held by Spline Bomb, in the end I didn't place, but it was a good exercise working without any sound. It was harder than I had anticipated as sound can really carry an animation and help it along. Voice or sound will have beats and you can normally animate to those, but without this there needs to be some sort of rhythm to the piece.

With the bear rig that I created, it worked okay, however there were issues with how much I could animate it without it being deformed. This comes down to the weight painting and if I had more time to spend on the rig, I would have liked to have made sure that it was capable of all the animation I needed. There are parts of the animation I'm happy with, but it needs some work. I think I would have found it easier if I could have constrained the hands to the bear, however I couldn't figure out how to do this without the arms deforming a considerable amount. I used FK on the arms instead, to ensure and constant contact on the bear, yet when it came to switching between FK and IK, I think this is where a few issues arose. I need to explore more into the switching and how to do it successfully and seamlessly, as right now in a couple of places the arm jumps quite sharply. I might try and revisit this at a later stage, and hopefully by that point I will have improved so I can go about fixing the errors.


Joy Competition from Siobhan Parkhouse on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment