Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Game Art Essentials: Ludic Scenography

A new module, a new brief. We have now begun our Game Art module and by the end of it we are to create a "Game Bible" and a 3D game environment prototype. With a choice of either 3 options, I think I will go for the Fairytale cottage, tower or fairytale setting. To start getting an idea of what is out there in terms of games I have created a couple of moodboards that show the type of fairytale style you would normally think of, games based on fairytales and any other games I come across which I think fit in.

Some of these games I have tried to get a hold of myself in order for me to get a better idea of what it is like on screen as you are playing it; as a screenshot may differ greatly and can give a different feel to when you are actually playing it.


I've taken screenshots from different games and I have found that in some scenes there is a similar colour palette that has been used. When you look at the 3 shots I have identified you can see that they each give off the same atmosphere and feel - calm, tranquil. Colours will definitely play a bit part in my game level so being able to identify the suitable colours is key. I will also have to make sure I use appropriate textures when it comes to it as well.


The above moodboard is from a MMO game called Dream Drops. It is currently not available to play online, however the closed-beta version will be launched at Hong Kong in May. Even though I am not able to play this game, the artwork and design of all the characters and buildings are for me, the typical fairytale style. As I have pointed out the main thing that stands out is the bright/bold colours, this is all well and good to give a happy elated feel to the game, however when you compare it to the moodboard above there is a bit more colour range. This is mainly due to the setting, but darker, cooler colours also would suggest enemies near by. Even though there will be no actual characters in my game level, I will have to take into consideration the actual fairytale story and whether or not it comes across more sinister or cheerful, this will then determine what colours I will use.

No comments:

Post a Comment