Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Sound Design

At the beginning of this module, once we had created the animatic I found some royalty free music that seemed to fit out genre quite well so Phil added these in as a test to the animatic along with voice overs done by me and recorded by Lija. Animatic found HERE.

It gave us a good overview of how our scenes would play out and also gave me a tone to work to whilst I was animating. When it came to putting it altogether we realised that we needed extra sounds such as footsteps and some character noises as we found it was lacking and by doing this it gave the characters more life and it ended up just sounding more of a complete project as a whole. Lija and Phil recorded my footsteps so we could play this when Gloria runs. To get it synced up we played the shot of her running and I ran at the same time, trying to sync my footsteps with hers. It worked quite well and we did the same thing for Harold's footsteps and other character noises. By watching and recording at the same time it saved Phil a lot of time as he knew they would match up when it came to putting it altogether.

We recorded the sounds using the sound booths at uni and used the programme Audacity. When it came to recording folie sounds, we switched the microphones over to something that was more suited to capturing specific / close up sounds. Phil then took all of these recordings and edited them together with the recording of our cinematic in Final Cut.

It was a really enjoyable process and it is something I think I will get more into - recording my own sounds for my future projects. It just makes it that much more personal and when you work on a character for so long you know how they walk, how they should sound so in a way it is better and more beneficial for you yourself to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment