Thursday, March 7, 2013

Invasion Title Sequence

For my title at the start of my film, I wanted something that would suggest the theme of the film itself. Originally my character was going to have fur on it but due to time constraints I wasn't able to achieve this, although the spaceships are all furballs. For awhile I had the idea of wanting furry text but wasn't sure how to go about it, in the end I found a tutorial about using hair within Cinema 4D. This programme was completely new to me but after a couple of tutorials I had the basics to do what I needed. It's another 3D package so the tools are similar and once you know one software, skills are transferable. Because I didn't have enough time to fully explore the hair system within Cinema 4D I just took the basics and created some text. It's similar to Maya in the fact that you add hair onto your desired geometry, where it's more simple, is that Cinema 4D doesn't require any complex mapping to have the hair cover shapes that aren't just primitives.

To begin with I wanted the text to come down from a height and thought it would be quite a nice effect as the hair has a gravity influence on it, so would react to the movement of the text. The problem was that the hair reacted too much and there were too many strands that were flying about, instead it gave more of the feeling of static and electricity than furry. See here.

The next version I tried was to reduce the movements and have the text go side to side. See here. This was much better however it felt a bit odd for it just to be moving like that. I knew for my credits I was going to have the words fade out with a particle transition so I thought I would try this with the hair. I quite like the effect as it allows for the hair to rest before it gets swept away. The only thing I would try and change if I had time, would be to see if there was a way around not having the hair return to it's original state before the particles kicked in as to me it's quite noticeable. But overall I don't think it's too bad of an attempt for my first go at Cinema 4D and some of the effects you can produce within it.

No comments:

Post a Comment