Tuesday, April 10, 2012

UV Mapping Tests


In order for me to get a better idea of what textures and colours will best suit the mushroom I will first test out several possibilities and decide from there. Using the colours off my concept art I quickly painted my texture onto the mushroom UV map, from here I then applied the texture within Maya and exported it out into Unity. In Unity I was then able to add in another texture which I then turned into a normal map. This would add a texture onto the mushroom and make it appear more 3D than just using the basic diffuse option. By selecting bumped specular on the mushroom shader that was imported in, you can add bump maps or normal maps. The texture helps it out a lot but obviously, this was just really quick and I will experiment with more textures to see what is better. I will also try doing it within Maya as this would be easier than exporting it each time, however I will only be able to do bump maps as right now I am not fully sure how to create a normal map within photoshop. Normal maps are of a higher level detail than bump maps, I will try using bump maps and exporting into Unity to see which is better.

Top image is the shader within Maya, using a light to highlight certain areas. Middle image, bumped specular shader. The bottom is something I came across, a self illuminating shader. There are many different types of these so to correspond to the previous I chose the bumped specular one under this option. My whole idea is for the mushrooms to glow - there is a script you can import into Unity, however this is only available in the Pro version so to try this out I would have to do it at uni. For now however I tried out this shader and it looks alright, it's not as glowing as I would have hoped for, however it does accentuate the colours, you have to add in another texture for the illuminate so I would assume that if I got this more correct the result should be a lot better. There is a lot to be done and I can see why that this section of the game will take the longest as especially, this is the first time where I have done anything like this. For now though I think I'm heading along the right tracks, I just need to experiment more and adjust the colours from my original concept art in order for them to blend into one another better. 



No comments:

Post a Comment