Friday, April 13, 2012

Glow Test

Using Unity Pro there are pre-made scripts that you can add onto the main camera which will add an effect. For mine I wanted my mushrooms to glow, even though there is a shader that can replicate this, it's not what I had in mind so I need to explore different options. There are two different scripts, Glow effect and Glow Threshold, both are very similar so to compare I put the same units for each attribute on both effects.

This first image is just showing my final colour for the mushroom stem alongside the self-illuminating shader. As you can see with the shader, it looses the original colours and does not have the right look I was originally wanting to achieve. When I add the one of the effects to the camera, viewing both mushrooms it does not work at all as the whites are far too much, but this is something to bear in mind for future if I wanted a white glare/glow.





I then went ahead and placed one of the glow scripts onto the main camera of my first person controller. As it is attached to it, everything you view with the camera will in turn have a glow effect. I also tested whether or not the surrounding environment would be affected by this, by dropping a texture onto the terrain it seems that this glow effect doesn't change the appearance of the texture which is really good.

The next two screenshots are of the two different effects and how they differ from one another. The first is Glow Threshold and the second is Glow Effect. Both work really well, keeping the original colours I have painted on, however Glow Effect glows a bit more than Threshold - the whites are more pronounced. There might not be a major difference to other people, but I think that the bottom one might suit more, glows more than the threshold effect.


No comments:

Post a Comment