Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Gallery Visit

Last week I also took a trip down to the Leeds Art Gallery to have a look at the paintings they had on display. To begin with I was more interested in finding renaissance era paintings, but the one that really caught my eye was a piece done by Henri Fantin Latour: Portrait of Mme Leon Maitre 1937. The painting itself, gave off a very soft and gentle vibe, possibly down to the colours used and the brush strokes used for the hair and clothes. I did a quick drawing of that painting as I wanted to reference it when it comes to my character. The lady in the painting looks quite plain, there are no distinctive facial features, however I find that I am drawn into the whole piece. She almost looks sad but you don't know why. I want my character to have a look about her that makes you want to know more, to draw you into her life and story.

No comments:

Post a Comment