Monday, March 3, 2014

nCloth Simulation

I found a tutorial on creating wings using nCloth simulation, I decided to try it out to see if it could work on my dragon. Using nCloth, gives it more of a natural feel and how taught the cloths are can be adjusted to get your desired result. In the tutorial it explains that the nCloth system needs to be applied to the whole mesh, so you would have the animate your creature in different sections and then bring them together. To try and get around this I animated the wings for then parented it to the body of my dragon. The video below shows the results, the wings are not completely attached as I just wanted to test out this technique first. It seems to work quite well, however when I tried creating a turn around of the wings, the cloth broke apart and didn't work at all. I don't know if this is due to the camera moving, as the wings attached to the body is seen through a stationary camera. If this is the case, it could prove a big problem as I will be having shots with moving cameras.

I think I will just have to stick with my original plan, rigging the wings and animating it by hand. At least this way I can ensure that the movement of the wings are in keeping with my whole animation style, rather than leaving it to dynamics to figure it out.





No comments:

Post a Comment