Wednesday, November 16, 2011

1 Minute Instructional Video

We recently got briefed on our new project: Digital Film Production. The first part of this module we are required to individually produce a 1 minute instructional video from storyboading to filming and editing. I originally wanted to produce an instructional video on how to make brownies, however I felt that even with editing the whole video might be longer than 1 minute. So now I have decided to create one with s'mores, mainly because it is easy to make and would take no longer than a minute (that and they're really tasty!)

With my idea set, I now need to think about shot framing and how this will affect my video. The shots I use will show different things so I need to understand the differences between each.

Extreme Long Shot - Mainly shown to establish setting and could show a grand scale within the landscape. If a single character is in the shot it can show isolation.

Long Shot - Used to show movement and direction from the subject. The whole subject will be visible in the frame and will also establish setting.

Medium Shot - Can show the relationship and any detailed actions between a couple of few characters. Will normally show only half the subject on screen.

Close Up - Easier to see facial expressions and the feelings they may be portraying. Will normally be a detail of the subject e.g hands, faces or objects.

Extreme Close Up - A small detail of the character often enlarged to the point where it creates distortion of scale. With this extreme close up it really brings attention to that area and creates a close intimate relationship between viewer and character.

Having broken down the types of shots, I now need to figure out what will be filmed and what shot types they need to have. I need to start with an establishing shot to set the scene, this will probably show all the ingredients needed. I will then zoom into each of the ingredients for a close up. Producing a storyboard will help me to set up my scenes and figure out what will be shot and when so I will do this next before progressing any further.

This is part of a storyboard by Josh Sheppard. Along with the notes on the side you are able to understand what is going on in each shot and how it progresses to the next. There are different ways of producing storyboards, everyone has their own style. This one Sheppard has produced is quite sketchy and still in its rough stages, however you are still able to establish the main subject of each shot. By putting arrows in the drawing you are giving camera direction so you know it won't be a straight cut to the next scene.

An easy way to start of is to draw onto post-it notes, with this you are able to switch around the scenes and decide which is the best order. From this you can then refine it and you don't need to re-draw the whole storyboard if something does not fit right.

My last storyboard was really short and was very basic, so I think for this one I will try it out on post-it notes to start with to achieve a rough idea. I want to develop my drawing style a bit more and refine it to a standard that I am proud of. I feel like I have let my drawing slip so I need to regain and improve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment