Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Scared Animation / MoCap

Another one of my tests with motion capture was to create a reaction to something, in this instance I chose to capture a scared/shocked emotion. I did this with a one camera setup as there wasn't any movement that would go behind the body and therefore not be captured by the camera. I tried two different ways of retargeting this time, one within Mocap Studios and my original way within Maya. The two videos below show the original mocap that was done within Mocap Studios, and the one below in Maya. What was interesting to see was that when retargeted using the iPi software, the original data came out quite well and accurate, more so than doing it in Maya. The only issue with this process is that only fbx models could be used to import and I was not sure how to export one of my own models with the rig out as an fbx and into Mocap Studios. In Mocap Studios, you have to connect each joint from the data skeleton to the imported character joints, and I wasn't able to do this with my own model. In order to get more practice with cleaning up the data and using my own model I think I'm going to stick with retargeting in Maya.





As with my previous mocap test I also created a keyframe version. This time I keyframed using my own reference and from this I also created a more exaggerated animation ontop of the base animation. I did this using animation layers. Because I've used the Stewart rig from Animation Mentor, there is immediately more appeal in terms design. In the exaggerated animation there is more of a reaction and it comes across more vividly than the base animation or mocap version. To make it more appealing I would need to concentrate more on the line of action of the body and the arcs that are being created. These arcs are a natural motion and add appeal to movements. It's easier to create these with keyframe as you are starting from scratch, I'll try and implement these techniques into my motion capture to see how much I can edit the motion yet keeping the main performance at the core.



No comments:

Post a Comment