Thursday, October 10, 2013

Quick Motion Capture Test

Before I start properly on the practical side of this module I thought I should try out cleaning up some motion capture within MotionBuilder then taking it into Maya. I've been watching tutorials over the summer about how to use MotionBuilder as it's a new software that I will be taking on. The tutorial I followed for this test was from 3D Artist, Issue 58. Using the motion capture data that came with the magazine I plotted it onto a standard character in MotionBuilder, cutting up the data sequence in order to get a specific part of the run. It wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be and I'll definitely need some more practice with the software as a whole.

Motion capture needs to be cleaned up as a lot of the time there will be sliding of the feet and some unnatural movements may also occur, e.g flipping of the joints. I managed to clean up some of the feet but I think it could still be improved more. I'm used to having a rig that I can have full control of e.g foot roll so I'm trying to learn how to compensate for this. The motion capture data I was working with was from optical motion capture, I however will be using markerless motion capture. I hope this won't affect the quality of the data and that I'll still be able to achieve good results with it.

One thing I need to test out is editing motion capture within Maya, I know it's possible to do however I need to explore this option some more and see if it requires a specific file type. The ideal situation would be to use MotionBuilder as part of my pipeline as this is industry standard. This is just the start so I'll have to keep testing and see where it gets me. Once I get the hang of it I'll be able to then implement my theory and knowledge of motion and performance to the characters and see if this has an effect on the overall appeal of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment