Sunday, May 6, 2012

Terrain within Unity

The terrain would play a big part in my game level as it surrounds my whole area and further than the eye can see. I didn't want to use the pre-given terrain textures within Unity so I decided to download a selection from CG Textures and edit them within Photoshop to make them seamless. A seamless texture ensures that you cannot see where the texture joins up to one another and this is especially important when it comes to terrain as one texture will tessellate many times for it to cover the whole area created. Using the clone brush tool and offsetting the image at different pixels each time, you can paint over any noticeable lines where the seam would show up.

I tried to get similar coloured textures in order for them to blend into one another, yet have them different to each other so it can be distinguished that the terrain changes at different heights. It took me awhile to create the actual terrain as I had to experiment with a range of different styles that were available on Unity to see what combination would work best. The terrain itself encloses my area so the mountains would need to look realistic and organic otherwise it would defeat the point of even having a terrain around it. To begin with I was just going to have a platform in which the mushroom tree would be placed upon, however I wanted the whole level to be more organic so I decided to have the mushroom on a raised terrain which would connect with the surrounding area. I found that this blended in more and produced more of a continuity throughout the whole level.


No comments:

Post a Comment